Saturday, February 11, 2012

Who Is My Target Market?



Pricing is the hardest part of owning a business.  It is the task that I struggle with more than anything else.  I desire desperately to make a great product at an affordable price.  But let's be real, I need to make money too.  I love that I can work from home with my little girls at my side but I do it to help out my family and pay bills.

I have been doing a lot of research lately on pricing models and strategies.  Many of which encourage you to figure out your target market and ideal customer.  Who is buying your product?  What does he/she look like?  How much disposable income does he/she have?

Many of these models are telling me that my ideal customer is not someone like me.  That he/she has more money than me and I should therefore price my items higher and make more expensive things to sell.

My question becomes, why shouldn't I be my target market?  If I am not making products for women like me than who will?

If I am not my target market then who will make unique products that families on a budget can afford?

So I will continue to make unique and fun items that cannot be found in a big box store.  I will keep the prices realistic and as low as possible all the while making a living for my family.  I will give moms like me a place to buy one of a kind and fun items for their families.

God Bless,

Angel

My Etsy Shop

My Facebook Page

5 comments:

  1. Your customers will thank you for that philosophy, Angel. And I think that will encourage them to be repeat customers and send their friends along for those good buys too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God Bless You, Angel♥

    ♥♥♥
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had to ponder this as well. My stuff is the best selling jewelry in a very chic boutique in a rich touristy area. They mark it up 60% over what I sell it for online. I find this shocking, but it sells well. I've left it lower online because I feel like my friends and family shop more on there and I do want it accessible to my peers. Keep doing what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have really thought this through. Sounds like a realistic goal. Blessings, Sue

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting thoughts to ponder Angel. Blessings Niki xx

    ReplyDelete